Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Spirit of capitalism on water

From the exploration of the 7 seas to the pursuit of sailing bliss.... Discover a 100 footer by Spirit Yachts, monument to the human spirit. Tradition, modernité, grace. Plaisir des sens sur l'eau en image


"When I look at the ocean, I feel the greatness of man's magnificent capacity that created this ship to conquer all that senseless space".
Ayn Rand in The Fountainhead.

Mariners and charts

"So what remains? The oceans that lies dark
Around, blessed islands. Come, embark".
Horace, Epode 16.41-2

"Explorers were the engineers of history's infrastructure, the builders of causeways of culture, forgers of links, spinners of webs".
Felipe Fernandez-Armesto in Pathfinders. A global History of Exploration.


Surviving fragment of the first world map of Ottoman Admiral Piri Reis (1513)

At the helm
"My body sways, drunk with the shock of a discovery, and the yacht heels with my body, and it is the sea under the hull that reels with the heeling of my yacht - the discovery that my life is now in my own hands, that there is no necessity to argue, to explain, to teach, to plead, to fight – nothing but to see and think and act.....".

Paraphrasing Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged) because she tells it better. Lire sur Rand en français www.unmondelibre.org/node/304?q=node/554

No comments:

Post a Comment